I have been suspiciously giddy since yesterday afternoon and for no apparent reason.
----------------------------------

Ok I have listened to Lil Wayne- Tha Carter III enough times to make a fair assessment.
The verdict? I seriously do not like it.
There are a few songs that have some okay verses (especially if its Jay-Z's verse)
but as a whole the album goes from stream-of-consciousness freestyle rap (the beatnik sounding parts)
to an equally irritating smug laugh- after what he probably thinks is a particularly insightful or ironic line.
His laugh mid-song can be heard throughout the entire album.
Unfortunately, the electronic voice manipulation is also a staple throughout.
Lyrically, I am sick of the absurd metaphors.
It is starting to take over his songs- in place of actual sentences or thoughts put artfully into a rap.
I can see Lil Wayne fans lapping up this album of vapid verbal gymnastics- silly metaphors and all..
Maybe I am being a bit hard on Lil Wayne-
I really liked the Carter II, the mixtapes, and the verses on the birdman collaboration.
Those previous albums are filled with whimsical metaphors and gritty street narrations about crap that probably doesnt even happen-
but he can't keep going on forever with the same stuff.
I think he's finally hit the wall on all of that- and now its time to try something other than figuring out another ridiculous metaphor to pair with equally ridiculous things about killing people and fucking "bitches."
GIVE ME SOMETHING INSPIRED- not filling in the blanks to an established equation for a successful song.
I wanted to like it, but I cannot even convince myself to listen to this album again.
Take that for what it's worth.

Now about Duffy- Rockferry:
I liked the original single, "Mercy" which is currently playing on 104.1 KRBE...
but hearing it on cd instead of the radio changes the song for me.
It sounds dead or something?
Anyway, the song is still catchy.
The arrangements for the songs on this album are a lot better than the actual lyrics/singing parts.
I like her voice in some instances- but when she pushes it out yelling-style on the title track-
it just sounds so strange. It sounds unnatural for her typically meek-sounding voice.
Other songs display her "range" in a peculiar manner-
On "Mercy" she sounds borderline snotty like she has an attitude-
The rest of the album tries to be darker and more serious (almost amy winehouse-esque but with way less style or heart)
Anyway- I am into the arrangements- but I try not to pay attention to the lyrics or even pay real close attention to the vocals.
It's a bit sad because I really wanted to like this album.
I am still pulling for her as a new artist trying to make a name for herself.
I will listen to it again- but next time I will be skipping some tracks to keep myself from falling asleep.
P.S. She is Welsh, not British as I originally thought.

No comments:
Post a Comment